seedkeepers - Re: [Seed Keepers] Seed SAVER

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: Seed Keepers <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Seed Keepers] Seed SAVER
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 13:52:43 -0500

kevin dudley wrote:
Hi Lawrence!
I too was saddened by what has happened to Kent Whealy but this issue was bound to come up sooner or later as the multinational companies search for genes!
I have worked for the seed Savers in Ireland for over 10 years and the nub of it is that these resources belong to the whole of mankind even the fools who wish to own it!

Do you know Ute Bohnsack and her work developing seed saving resources?
At one time she maintained a big online FAQ on international seed saving groups.

At the end of the day as long as they don't stop us from saving and working with our own seed they can and will get on with their own agendas.

I think after spending 6 months studying at the Centre for Agroecology and Sustainable food Systems at U.C.S.C the situation in the states is

That is where Alan Chadwick spent time developing his permanent French biointensive raised bed method of gardening. Did you ever see the gardens he and his crew built? I have some transcribed lectures he gave:
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/orgfarm/permaculture/Alan.Chadwick/

the same as here in Ireland.That whilst those at the top are dithering figureheads the real work is being done at grass root level. Inner-city gardens in the huge citys and all over our countries people and comunities are learning how to grow the soil,plants and seeds and this IS happening!
I dont want to belittle the great work that Kent has done for us all but we need to be possitive as negative anger reduces what it is we have todo and there is a lot to do!

We do need to maintain a positive approach. Easy these days as so any people are interested in seed saving and food production on all levels.
Its a growing movement, a happening thing, as you say!

Hope you have a fruitfull prosperous year..........Kevin D

Thank you Kevin! I am looking forward to a great year! I have incredible soil, plenty of water, great hand tools and at least a starter collection of seeds to plant! After years of spending all my time building soil quality in raised beds I am now looking at seeds available to me for vegetable varieties I am interested in growing. So far, among the hundreds of companies in business, I have become interested in the offerings from:
Rupp Seed
Johnny's Seeds
Bountiful Gardens
Fedco
Mountain Valley
Nichols
a N.C. company I like, Clifton Seed (in collards country)

Where in Ireland are you located?

Cheers,

Lawrence
http://venaurafarm.blogspot.com