seedkeepers - Re: [Seed Keepers] Need ID on Asian pepper

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: Seed Keepers <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Seed Keepers] Need ID on Asian pepper
  • Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 00:57:21 -0400

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

I bought some really nice peppers from the nearby Korean grocery store.
They are:

just like very oversized carbon copy of cayenne red hot peppers with large
green stems

semi hot, hotter near the wide end with the greatest concentration of seeds

typically 6-9" long; up to 1 1/8 thick at the large end at the stem

This pepper is long tapered with a wide shoulder at the top where it joins
the stem;
as opposed to most long hot peppers, green or red, which are somewhat oblong; pointed at one end with its widest point near but not at the top.

bright red in color

sweet in taste; fairly thick walled, excellent flavor, spicy - a little like hot red cayenne peppers without as much of the heat; a unique flavor, one of the best peppers I have eaten, equal to Giant Marconi or a good green bell pepper

Koreans eat them raw and dip them in straight red miso
good raw, cut up on top of miso soup or on rice

This may be an exclusive Asian variety
I would like to grow these this year and thereafter; its an excellent market
and table crop
it is probably easy to grow and a prolific bearer

Anyone know the name of this variey?