seedkeepers - [Seed Keepers] A collection of snippets of information about seeds & plants gathered from email and other sources - with some redundant listings

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: seedkeepers <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Seed Keepers] A collection of snippets of information about seeds & plants gathered from email and other sources - with some redundant listings
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 08:48:57 -0500

Restoring Our Seed - Abenaki Calais Flint CornTthe Summer That Froze to Death
from
Native American seed-savers in Vermont. Apparently a NA
corn variety survived that summer and was shared with many Vermonters
for their sole sustenance that harsh summer. The full story can be
downloaded from www.growseed.org on the Seed Stewards curriculum page 12.
The corn is sold today by FEDCO.
<>
For those of you who are looking for sources of different nitrogen fixing
trees and shrubs (in USA), the two below have many different species and
varieties.

The first is Forest Farm Nursery, 990 Tetherow Rd, Williams, OR 97544-9599,
http://www.forestfarm.com

Their catalog is $4 and it's a book, well worth getting, lots of good info
and thousands of species of Pc plants. Dozens of N-fixers (my current
favorite, from them, is Lespedeza thunbergii, bush clover, a small N-fixing
shrub that is covered much of the summer with fountains of pink-purple
blossoms. They have several related species).

For large orders, go to Lawyer Nursery, http://lawyernursery.com
(downloadable .pdf catalog)
Their minimum order is $200, so join with friends and get bundles of pea
shrubs for $1 per plant, of several varieties. Many other N-fixers and good
Pc plants. Try to order by New Years, cuz they sell out early.
<>
Forestfarm plant nursery
<http://www.forestfarm.com/>
<>
Lawyer Nursery
<http://lawyernursery.com/>
<>
Restoring Our Seed
<http://www.growseed.org/>
<>
SPROUTING SEEDS
The absolute best site on the web for sprout information is
http://sproutpeople.com/
http://sproutpeople.com/seeds.html
<>
Sand Hill Preservation Center: Catalog of Heirloom Seeds and Rare Poultry
<http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/index.html>
<>
Heirloom Plants and Seeds Address List
http://www.cog.brown.edu/gardening/cat16/f16cat.html
The Garden Path, A Centre for Organic Gardening, Organic Plants and Seeds,
Victora BC, Canada
http://www.earthfuture.com/gardenpath/Winter_Vegetables.htm
<>
Tom Clothier, whose web site, "Tom Clothier's Garden Walk and Talk",
has for many years contained the most comprehensive germination
database on the web, as well as many excellent articles by himself
and other authors, is retiring. His site is now archived on
Mallorn.com's hort.net, so all this marvelous information will not be
lost to the web horticultural community.

The new URL is:

http://tomclothier.hort.net/
<>
heirloom seed sources:
http://www.invisiblelighthouse.com/garden/seedsource.html

Seed Sources for Specialty Vegetables:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/publications/specveg1.html

seed/plant sources (extensive list)
http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/lists/nov97/msg00175.htmlhttp://csf.colorado.edu/perma/lists/nov97/msg00175.html

Seed Catalogs & Seeds w/ links to the urls of all: (very extensive
list) http://whatsonthe.net/seedcatalogs.htm

A BIBLIOGRAPHY OF RESOURCES FOR THE HEIRLOOM GARDENER AND SEED SAVER
http://www.indiana.edu/~libwylie/wh-bib.html

Agriculture and Horticultural Resources, Special Collections
Department, University Libraries, Virginia Tech
http://spec.lib.vt.edu/spec/horticul/bothrhp.htm

Nichols Garden Nursery - herbs & rare seeds catalog: (Oregon)
http://www.gardennursery.com/

Willhite Seed - Online! (Texas - good commercial source)
http://www.willhiteseed.com/store/asp/about.asp

Seeds of Change: (New Mexico)
http://www.seedsofchange.com/

There are many more good seed companies (i.e. DV Burrell, Colorado)
and links to many others (i.e. Otis Twillley, Stokes) on these lists
many more than you'll be able to follow up on

I strongly suggest you stick to sources in the Southwest (except for
Nichols, which is in the Northwest), which are more likely to have
seed that adapts to your area.

Let me know if you have no luck. There were a few others that had
things like white tomatoes, though that was only 35 years ago.

Jung was one of them
<http://www.jungseed.com/

Henry Fields was another
http://www.henryfields.com/aboutus.html

And there was this one:
Harris Moran Seed Company
http://www.harrismoran.com/
or was it
Welcome to Harris Seeds
http://www.harrisseeds.com

And there was Park
http://www.parkseed.wte.net/

And Stokes:
Stokes Seeds
http://www.stokeseeds.com/main.ehtml

These I don't know:

Heirloom Plants and Seeds Address List
http://www.mertus.org/gardening/cat17/f16cat.html
Heirloom Seed Companies
http://www.webslnger.com/wethepeople/heirloom/cmpnylst.htm
HEIRLOOM SEEDS - over 300 varieties of non-hybrid seeds
http://www.heirloomseeds.com/
Heirloom Seeds - Seeds Blum
http://www.seedsblum.com/w1_prhei.htm
Heirloom Tomatoes - Best Tomatoes - Natural Gardening
http://www.heirloomtomatoes.net/
Heirloom/Open Pollinated Garden Vegetable Seeds
http://www.seedman.com/heirloom.htm
HeirloomEdibles.Com Online Seed Catalog
http://virtualseeds.com/HeirloomSeeds.html

Homegrown Tomatoes and Peppers Tomato Page
http://www.homegrowntomatoes.com/tomato.htm

Non-hybrid seeds for Independence Gardening
http://www.seedsblum.com/i_hybrid.htm

Oriental Vegetable Seeds
http://www.evergreenseeds.com

OUR FAVORITE GARDEN HERBS
http://www.seedman.com/index/herbseed.htm
OUR FAVORITE GARDEN VEGETABLES
http://www.seedman.com/index/vege.htm

Medicinal Plants & Seeds.
http://www.seedcatalog.com/Cat1b.htm

Johnny's Selected Seeds
http://www.johnnyseeds.com

Here's one in your area, just up more than a little higher: About
Flagstaff Native Plant & Seed - About Our Seeds -- Tea Herb Farm --
Over 4000 Exotic and Unusual Vegetable, Palm, Fruit & Nut, Bonsai,
and Tree Seeds ttp://www.flgnativeplant.com
<>
For an interesting history of hybrids and plant breeding, see:

Kloppenburg J. R. (1988) First the Seed: the Political Economy of Plant
Biotechnology, 1492-2000, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge USA.

It details the whole history of hybrid breeding and the alternatives that
could
have been followed.
<>
Published in Crop Sci. 43:1922-1929 (2003).

REVIEW & INTERPRETATION
Concepts of Intrinsic Value and Integrity of Plants in Organic Plant
Breeding and Propagation
E. T. Lammerts van Bueren*,a, P. C. Struikb, M. Tiemens-Hulschera and E.
Jacobsenc
a Louis Bolk Inst., Hoofdstraat 24, NL-3972 LA Driebergen, the Netherlands
b Wageningen Univ., Dep. of Plant Sci., Crop and Weed Ecology Group,
Haarweg 333, 6709 RZ Wageningen, the Netherlands
c Wageningen Univ., Dep. of Plant Sci., Laboratory of Plant Breeding,
Binnenhaven 5, 6709 PD Wageningen, the Netherlands

* Corresponding author (e.lammerts@louisbolk.nl).
<>
I am a geographer studying the origins and spread of the collard greens
as an important Southern winter vegetable. I am working with two other
researchers, including a USDA geneticist, Dr. Mark Farnham, to
investigate the development of the plant extending back to its arrival
from either Eurasia and/or Africa. We believe North Carolina seed savers
may hold the key to some early collard forms. We have therefore begun
collecting collard seeds for the national seed bank. The seeds may also
be useful for development of disease-resistant forms. Do you know of any
vegetable seed savers who might have collard seeds with heirloom
ancestry? If so, please contact me, so that we might visit them and
request a small seed sample for our research.

Thank you.

Dr. Edward H. Davis
Department of Geography
Emory & Henry College
Emory, VA 24327
276-944-6203
ehdavis@ehc.edu
<>
November 26, 2003
BioFinder - Image Database
http://caliban.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de/~stueber/BioSearch/bioinfo/getimage.cgi?whattodo=showall

The "BioFinder Image Database" is a search engine-driven site that
currently contains plant images representing numerous different
families of plants. The selection is outstanding, so if you feel
uncomfortable with scientific names, it might be time to convert! The
links lead from the home page to family lists alphabetized by genus.
The sources of images range from floras (frequently Prof. Dr. Thomé's
"Flora von Deutschland, Österreich und der Schweiz"), to more recent
digital images of frequently cultivated plants. Site and database by
Karl-Friedrich Fischbach and Kurt Stüber, respectively. (***1/2) -S

*BOT-LINX Home Delivery sends you the Botanical Link-of-the-Day
from Scott's Botanical Link site at URL:
http://www.ou.edu/cas/botany-micro/bot-linx/
*To subscribe or unsubscribe, visit the listserv site at URL:
http://www.ou.edu/cas/botany-micro/bot-linx/listserv.shtml
or contact me by email: mailto:srussell@ou.edu
Archived since 1996 at URL: http://lists.ou.edu/archives/botlinx.html
<>
Many of the seed sources for native plants offer GM free seed as well. For a
list of seed companies that pledge non genetically modified seed, click on
Safe Seed Sourcebook at the website below:

http://www.gene-watch.org/programs/safeseed.html

The articles on this site are eyeopening as well.

Keep in mind that a research study on tomato seed had to be abandoned
recently because seed thought to be GM free was contaminated. You can read
about this
and other news in biotech by subscribing to GM Watch based in the UK:

GM WATCH daily

http://www.gmwatch.org

There's also a GM WATCH weekly.

Sally Williams
Editor, Garden Literature index
<>
I will be ordering seed taters next week from
Woodprairie Farms in Maine. If you are familar with
them, you know they put out a very good, double
certified organic selection of taters. So far, this
is what I am ordering:
Carola - 50 lbs
Cranberry Red (All Red) - 25 lbs
All Blue - 25 lbs
Caribe - 25 lbs
Russian Banana fingerlings - 10 lbs

The best price available for the regular taters
above comes from ordering in 50lb increments.
Therefore, its best to combine orders between people
and order 50 lb boxes. Estimated price/lb is around
$1.25. Fingerlings are closer to $2.75/lb. I would
need payment up front if you would like your potatoes
by mid-february, depending on the weather in Maine at
time of shipment. If anyone has noticed, Johnny's
Selected Seeds is not offering Feb. shipment in their
catalog this year.
For more info on varieties, go to
www.woodprairie.com. Also, I will be ordering onion
plants from Dixondale Farms (www.dixondale.com)
<>
Here's a link to the NC Sweetpotato Commission's listing of certified
sweetpotato seed suppliers in NC:
http://www.ncsweetpotatoes.com/growing.htm#commercial

Click on section 3 at the bottom, then when the next page opens, click on
"Link to Certified Seed Listing" (I can't just give you the URL because it
is hidden).

If they want certified organic sweetpotato slips, check the Grower Resource
List on my website, under plant and bulb suppliers. Burch Farms provides
certified, certified organic slips (twice certified!). For some reason Burch
is not showing up on the NCSC listing this year, but they are still
certified.
<>
raspberry
bushes from Johnson Nursery, 1352 Big Creek Rd, Ellijay, GA 30540,
1-888-266-3187. I've had their Redwing Everbearing Red Raspberry.
<>
Let me first say that there are not really any recommended varieties of red
raspberries for the piedmont, for commercial production. That being said
they do grow here and will survive and make some fruit. For a home garden I
would mostly recommend fall bearing/everbearing/primocane fruiting
varieties. Heritage, Cherokee (from VA Tech), Redwing, or Nordic are going
to be the best and easiest to manage. Two issues with raspberries in the
piedmont 1) too hot for good cane growth. Good being tall canes with
sufficient nodes for good fruit production. 2) too many wide swings in
winter/spring temps that can produce winter vascular injury to further
reduce production on spring/floricane fruiting varieties (the best of those
being Mandarin (impossible to find), Latham, Boyne, Nova). Best sources
will be mail order- Boston Mtn. Nurseries, Simmons Berry Farm, Nourse Farms,
North Star Gardens.

Excellent info at:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/pdf/ag-569.pdf
note the radical difference in yields between the mountains and piedmont
trials.

This was our experience after a decade plus of growing raspberries
commercially and trialing over 20 varieties. We realized that red
raspberries are just not adapted here. There is some potential in black and
purple raspberries.
<>
Of the hundreds of varieties of veggies I've tried over the years, some have clearly earned overall high ratings in my book, and I'm sure some of you have a similar list. Let's share our favorites!

I've been somewhat surprised to see how many of my long-time favorite varieties - that served me well in NY State - have continued to work very well for me in my first four years of farming in NC. This is especially true of many of the cool season crops, where (due to my move southward) the season of best growth for them has simply shifted 5-6 weeks earlier in spring and 5-6 weeks later in fall. Sadly, some of the slow-growing crops that hate the heat don't work so well here, it seems. This includes brussels sprouts, celery, and parsnips, all of which I HAVE managed to grow here, but with a lot of fussing, winter protection, etc.

On the receiving end, I'm still looking for tips from other growers and gardeners on what has worked well for them in the Piedmont. I feel particularly weak in the categories of tomatoes, melons, and sweet potatoes.

Even if you only mention one or two favorites, it could help us all. It would be nice if you could say why you like them so much, and where they can be obtained.

So, here is my offering of 19 of my favorites out of the 150 that I'm currently growing, with info about the source company, and what I like about them:

SOURCE COMPANY KEY: J=Johnny's Selected Seeds www.johnnyseeds.com ; F=Fedco www.fedcoseeds.com ; T=Territorial www.territorialseed.com ; W=Wild Garden Seed www.wildgardenseed.com . These are my favorite seed companies. The first 3 offer a very wide range of well-tested varieties, and they rigorously test and update their list and get feedback from growers. Wild Garden Seed is a small, farm-based company, whose owner, Frank Morton, has shown amazing creativity in developing many novel varieties that are now carried by many other catalogs.

LL= HOME-GROWN SEED - We have plenty of seed of these varieties of kale mix and Red Bullhorn peppers -- seed grown at the Land Lab in Pittsboro - would you like some? Want to swap, or send a couple bucks for packing and postage?) I have lots of tomato seeds to spare, too: Ruby Gold, Green Zebra, Peron Sprayless, Goldie, Viva Italia, Plum Dandy, Eva Purple Ball. And lots of my own extra early sweet bell pepper selected out of Yankee Bell)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SPINACH - "Tyee" - (J,F) - Reliable savoy type (crinkled), productive in both hot and cold weather, very bolt-resistant, adaptable to various soil/nutrient conditions (hybrid)

LETTUCE - "Dano" - (J) - Extremely slow bolting, also quite cold hardy, dark red "salad bowl" type, for baby leaf production for salad mix, can be cut many times and still looks and tastes good, slow to get bitter.

LETTUCE - "New Red Fire" (J,F,T) - Red looseleaf lettuce, slowest bolting in all of Fedco's trials, also very cold resistant, slow to get bitter, can make a huge head.

LETTUCE - "Ermosa" (J) - Beautiful, solid bibb (butterhead) type, dark green,
sturdier than Buttercrunch

KALE - "Wild Garden Kales" (T,W,LL) - Beautiful mix of sturdy "Siberian" type kales, very hardy but also taste good in heat; variety of leaf shapes and colors; can be crowded for baby leaf cutting for salad mix, or grown as large individual plants

CHARD - "Bright Lights" (J,F,T) - Brilliant rainbow of colors, most visually
striking vegetable I've ever seen.

MILD MUSTARD GREEN - "Yukina Savoy" (J) - for salad mix, similar to Tatsoi but much larger and more productive. Very dark green, mild, crinkly surface.

BEET - "Early Wonder" (J,F,T) - Fast growing, leaves are usually healthier than Detroit, the old standard. Stays in nice condition a long time, for those who like beet greens. Roots are sweet and good looking, too. Quite heat tolerant.

BEET - "Burpee's Golden" (J,F,T) - Despite starting weak and growing slowly, and high seed cost, this one is worth growing for the beautiful, tasty golden roots that don't color your food the way red beets do. Red + Golden = Nice combo at market.

CARROT - "Nevis" (J) - I've tried a dozen varieties since I moved here, and this one is the most productive, most consistent sweet flavor and brittle texture, smooth skin. It's of the Nantes heritage, but I do have to admit, it's a hybrid, in case you don't like hybrids. 7" long, quite resistant to alternaria blight which is a problem for us. AND - it is the very last one to bolt in spring, if you overwinter your carrots. As for that "consistent" flavor.......it still tasted good while it was bolting!

CARROT - "Kinbi" (J) - Bright yellow, heavier at the shoulders, like a Chantenay, might do very well on heavy clays. Complex sweet flavor, fast maturing, big strong tops easy to pull. Note: Has anyone seen "NutriRed", the beautiful red carrot that seems to have disappeared from all the catalogs?

CARROTS - "Nantes Fancy" (F) and "Nantaise" (T) - The two open-pollinated carrots that have produced the best flavor for us; both grow up to 8" long.

ONIONS - "Superstar" (F,J) and "Candy" (F,T) - These are both day-neutral, meaning that, even though they are sweet onions and are much harder-fleshed (longer-storing) than "Vidalia" and other southern onions, they WILL mature here, which is not true of the hard "keeper" onions that can only be matured north of 38 degrees latitude (approx. Mason Dixon line). Superstar is snow white, very nice looking, AAS winner. Candy stores a bit longer. NOTE: To get decent size on these, you have to seed them in the ground or nursery bed in fall, or start them in January in the greenhouse.

SNAP PEA - "Sugar Ann" (F,J) - Dwarf, no trellis needed, considered sweetest and most reliable of the dwarf snaps, matures 10-12 days earlier than "Sugar Snap", the original snap pea which remains unmatched for quality but needs a 5-6' trellis and finishes in the hot weather.

CANTELOPE - "Ambrosia" (J,F,T, local plant sales) - The name says it all, except to add that it has that flavor very consistently under a variety of growing conditions, like when rainy weather dilutes the sweetness of the others.

WATERMELON - "Yellow Doll" (F,T, called "Sunshine" in Johnny's) - Bright lemon yellow flesh, very sweet, 5-8 lbs, nice size for a small family or one very hot person. Good size for CSA marketing. Matures earlier than the big ones.

SWEET PEPPER - "Corno di Toro, Rosso" (T, LL; called "Italia" in Johnny's) - "Horn of the Bull, Red" - Beautiful sweet big long red Italian pepper, big plant, prolific producer. O.P. I ate one ripe one each day and saved the seed. Want some?

UNIQUE SPECIALTY PEPPER - "Aji Dulce" - Intense fruity smokey flavor similar to Habanero, but with NO HEAT!! Like cilantro, some folks love it, some hate it. Looks just like a red Habanero pepper. Want some seed?

CUCUMBER - "Marketmore 76 (or 97)" (F,J,T) - Amazing quality, yield, slender length, and disease resistance, for an open-pollinated slicing cuke.
<>
I had great luck last year with the Black Plum Paste Tomato from Seeds of Change (also available from Territorial Seed Company) -- This produces smallish mahogany plum tomatoes with dark striping at the top, similar in color to other "black" tomato varieties. I usually find plum tomatoes to be somewhat bland, but this had a terrific flavor for fresh eating and grew well (and abundantly!) in my garden. It was also one of the earlier tomatoes to ripen for me. I hadn't grown it before, so this was a pleasant surprise. You can see a picture here: http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_center/product_details.asp?UID=2004012111472152&item_no=PS15462
<>
My penpal in Nicaragua recently wrote to me about
planting potato seed (the actual seed, and not cut up
tubers) and getting uniform results. I always thought
potato seeds didn't breeed true to type. Maybe she
just got lucky? I did a google search, and found TPS
for sale at www.nicholsgardennursery.com

Since they list several different varieites, I guess
they claim it is possible to just get one type of
potato from seed. Any thoughts or experience?

I also found this interesting article on TPS at
http://www.new-agri.co.uk/02-6/focuson/focuson2.html
<>
"Mooncake" Edamame
http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/sep03/cake0903.htm

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/np/fnrb/fnrb1003.htm
<>
f> Does anyone know of a printable, online list of plants compiled
f> solely for chicken forage? Does anyone have one they could summon up
f> lacking an already available online source? Obviously there are many
f> plants which fit the bill but I am looking for coastal temperate
f> (USDA Zone 8b) perennials mainly. Pea shrubs to...? I wonder why
f> PFAF doesn't list Permaculture forage plants for various animals.

Chooks love all manner of berries:
Red, white, black currant
Blackberries
Raspberries
Worcesterberries
Mountain ash (Sorbus sp.)
Whitethorn/Hawthorn (Crataegus)
fallen fruit from apples, pears, plums etc.
Elderberries
Mulberries

Also:
Stinging nettle (leaves and seed)
Dandelion
Comfrey leaves
Sunflower seeds
Buckwheat
Evening primrose seeds
Duckweed! (high in protein, needs open water and must be harvested)
Garlic

A German source on poultry in pc systems
http://2012.org/publishing/gefluegel/index.html (have not checked
link)
gives loads of plants incl.
Bunias orientalis (careful! in Europe this is an invasive alien! I'm
not going to try it.)
Lycium chinensis
Myrrhis odorata
Oryzopsis hymenoides
Secale montana
Secale sylvestris
Astragalus glycyphyllos
I have not tried these yet. I recently bought a Lycium barbarum
(for berries, suggested by Bill Mollison) to see does it thrive here, and
found
seeds of Myrrhis odorata (leaves and seed) which I'll try this year. The
Secale sp. are
wild rye species which I haven't been able to get hold of.

It is not easy to design systems that use many of these plants -
timing of access, root protection, nutritional considerations (some
plants contain anti-nutritional substances) have to be taken into
account. But there would seem to be plenty of options for integration,
e.g. chickens in orchards underplanted with buckwheat (timed access;
buckwheat also attracts beneficials to orchard), chickens in woodland
edge situations (their natural habitat) with berry crops, elderberries
in chicken runs (they like high N situations) etc.
<>