scythe - Re: [scythe] How to make a haystack? please help me

scythe AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Scythes & Scything

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Scythes & Scything <scythe AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [scythe] How to make a haystack? please help me
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 14:17:54 -0400

On 5/31/2011 1:09 PM, Fay Cotton wrote:
Hello Scythers,
After some research, beginner that I am, I have still not found how to

1. build a frame to stack hay onto,
2. actually pile the hay onto it

These steps seem to be skipped over, or I have not been able to really
"get it"
Please, can you let me know if there are videos or photos that can help me?
Thanks ever so much!

Fay Cotton

http://www.facebook.com/fay.cotton

950 Chemin Delorme Farnham (Quebec)

J2N 1R6

Canada

(450) 293-4705

Courriel : fcotton AT videotron.ca <mailto:fcotton AT videotron.ca>

I am not too familir with this but have seen pictures of central support structures for haystacks that consist of single poles or poles with many short stubs of cut-off branches that assist in holding the stacked hay in place as you build the pile. Maybe multiple poles or a ladder-like structure would be in order. I would Google this for pictures, diagrams, drawings and the like. I would think that the type of hay you're working with might demand a specific pole system,
i.e. legume hay (lespedeza, clover, soy, alfalfa) or grass, long or short-bladed, Sudan grass, etc.