scythe - Re: [scythe] Vietnamese/Southeast Asian rice harvesting scythe

scythe AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Scythes & Scything

  • From: Kai Vido <kaivido AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Scythes & Scything <scythe AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [scythe] Vietnamese/Southeast Asian rice harvesting scythe
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:58:00 -0700 (PDT)

The tool shown is a type of sickle, not a scythe. All sickles are used
in one hand - when harvesting grain, the user grasps a handful of stems
and chops them off with the sickle. It is much slower and more
strenuous (think lower back pain) than reaping with a scythe, though it
wastes nearly none of the precious grain. If harvesting rice in a wet
paddy, the scythe may be impractical because the grain and straw will
be on the ground in a windrow when cut.

A scythe always has a longer handle, with one or two short handgrips,
and is used with both hands.

For more than you probably ever wanted to know about scythes, check
out:
http://scytheconnection.com/adp/contents.html

Kai Vido