pleurothallid-l - Re: [pleurothallid-l] humidification systems

  • From: "Linda Sedlacek" <lmg6534@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
  • To: <pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pleurothallid-l] humidification systems
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:43:38 -0500

Hello Tom,

            I live in balmy Florida, so humidity is not as big of an issue for me.  Heat however is a problem.  I have noticed that I can keep some less-than warmth-tolerant orchids alive by keeping them in dishes of water during the summer.  My pleurothallids actually sit in little lids of water for most of the summer.  It sounds odd, but it works.  In the winter of course this method is discontinued.  Pleurothallids do not like to have their feet wet if it is cold outside.  (Some rotted pleurothallids in my collection will attest to this statement.)  In the winter, it is very dry here.  So, I let them sit in water for a few hours in the mornings.  This little trick has been successful for the year or so that I have grown pleurothallids.  I wish you luck with the humidity issue, it is a difficult one.

Linda Sedlacek

Tallahassee, FL