pleurothallid-l - [pleurothallid-l] Restrepia cuttings

  • From: Ron Maunder <pondeeza@enternet.co.nz>
  • To: pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pleurothallid-l] Restrepia cuttings
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 07:37:41 +1300

Hi Dan,

More questions about propagating my/a Restrepia.

I have my Restrepia species here beside me at the computer to check out your method of propagating the leaves. The plant would have 40-50 erect leaves, reddish tinged on top and has numerous dried up old flower stems.

Do the keikis come from the area where the dried up flower stems originate or from the "nodes"? further down the stem at the base of the dried up bracts?

Some leaves have up to 6 dried up flower stems under them. If this is where the plantlets/keikis come from, should I trim/shorten these off carefully so the plantlets can develop unrestricted?

Are those with six old flower stems too far gone to keiki? Do you get more than six flowers from a leaf? The plant has never produced a keiki itself over the years.

I'll dig out a jpg of the flower and send it to you to see if you can put a name to the plant. It seems to be the most common Restrepia form/species around New Zealand probably because its so hardy and prolific.

Ron

  • [pleurothallid-l] Restrepia cuttings, Ron Maunder, 01/05/2005