pleurothallid-l - [pleurothallid-l] Pleurothallid agar, Restrepias etc

  • From: Ron Maunder <pondeeza@enternet.co.nz>
  • To: pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pleurothallid-l] Pleurothallid agar, Restrepias etc
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:04:52 +1300

Hello Dan,

Good to know there is still someone else out there! Many thanks for your instructions re propagating Restrepia leaves. You covered it magnificently. I seem to recall plastic bags came into the method I read about. Any experience/comment on putting the compot in a plastic bag to keep humidity up?

I just called a good friend who has a number of Pleurothallus plants. She gets pods and will drop a plant over to me when she gets some so I can try them at different dates. She says she threw out the last lot of Restrepia pods but will save some for me to try next time around.

As you would know hand pollinating many of these tiny flowered genera takes some doing but it seems some insects (ants?) do it regularly here out in greenhouses. I had to just about "stand on my head" to pollinate a Restrepia once and only got a dozen protocorms which obviously didn't like the media I put them on. Maybe they like it real weak? I'd share the formula with you if I had one which worked! Maybe Thomas or others have some answers. Maybe someone out there can put you onto a US lab that has success?

Yes, there is real confusion over the Rstp striata name here. There are about 4 or 5 varieties going under that name around New Zealand. Sounds like you have a good collection and your ear to the ground over new names? Are there any authoritative illustrated articles with the right names that you can point me too? Preferably with colour pictures!

Green coconuts on special for Christmas! My experience in the islands when climbing an extinct volcano looking for orchids was that the water from green ones was cool and thirst quenching but those that had a brown tinge and were maturing had ghastly fermented tasting water inside! We had to stop in a deserted village to get a drink on the way back in the dark! Further up the mountain water from bamboo was good to drink too. I seem to recall the green ones had a jelly-like "copra" at that stage which probably has good food value. Possibly used in Asian cooking? Ripe coconuts are all I see in our small city greengrocers.

Cheers,

Ron Maunder, Tauranga, New Zealand

  • [pleurothallid-l] Pleurothallid agar, Restrepias etc, Ron Maunder, 12/19/2004