pleurothallid-l - [pleurothallid-l] Seed Exchange (Lynn O'Shaughnessy)

  • From: Ron Maunder <pondeeza@enternet.co.nz>
  • To: pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pleurothallid-l] Seed Exchange (Lynn O'Shaughnessy)
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:05:50 +1300

Hi Lynn,

Back on the 7th you were going to post something on seed exchange? Perhaps CARNIVORE got hold of it as there was no message came through on my email! First time I've seen a message sent here swallowed up!

I find Masdevallia seed pods/capsules interesting. They are quite different from all other orchid genera I've worked with. When mature they open along the ventral side only in two places whereas other genera open their pods in three places around the pod and have three "strips" which hold the pod together while maturing. There are probably names for these segments and I'd be happy to use them if anyone can offer names?

It appears that most other genera including Paphs have three segments to their ovaries. Do all Pleurothallids have a different set up? Perhaps Luer has it all written up in one of his Green Books?

Any explanations? Are Pleurothallids really orchids?

Ron Maunder

  • [pleurothallid-l] Seed Exchange (Lynn O'Shaughnessy), Ron Maunder, 12/14/2004