pleurothallid-l - [pleurothallid-l] springtails

  • From: Michael Shrom <shrommj@ptd.net>
  • To: pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pleurothallid-l] springtails
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 08:44:26 -0500

Do collembolla (springtails) do damage to orchids? I found Kevin Becrofts' article in the winter Pleurothallid newsletter interesting. I'm bumping into lots of people that raise dart frogs and orchids. I do think it is a big mistake to advocate feeding fungus gnats to frogs. Most frogs won't eat them and it will be a tough job to get them out of your plants and house and still keep things frog friendly. I'm not decided about springtails. They are good food for small frogs but I don't know if they will cause damage to the plants. I feed swept insects to some of my frogs. To sweep for insects you just use a sweep (butterfly) net and sweep in an insecticide and chemical free area. I don't use swept insects in the tanks that have orchids. It introduces all kinds of insects and other animals that might damage the orchids.
The bid difference between a frog friendly and orchid friendly environment is you are limited to what chemicals you can use with the frogs. I use fertilizer in my tanks and hydrogen peroxide for fungus but not much of any other chemicals.
Michael Shrom

  • [pleurothallid-l] springtails, Michael Shrom, 03/08/2004