pleurothallid-l - [pleurothallid-l] Re: Dryadella edwallii and some others

  • From: "Bryan Whelan" <bryan.whelan@3web.net>
  • To: <pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pleurothallid-l] Re: Dryadella edwallii and some others
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 22:41:01 -0500

Two other trouble makers are Scaphosepalum grande and Dracula chimaera.
These are my first "soft-leafed" pleurothallids.  The Scaphosepalum is
closer to the light (approximately 1500-2000 footcandles).  It was doing
great for about 2 weeks, and then I started to get some yellow patches
on the leaves.  I'm not sure if this is from the light or the misting.
I suggest the misting because the yellowing seems to concentrate on
areas where the leaves touch other things (a tall water dish and one
side of the orchidarium).

>>>First, i sugest you take great pains to make sure the leaves don't touch anything, as simple contact may be the problem.. Some orchids just don't like to be touching anything.  Your growing situation sounds very similar to mine, except for that.. try to not let any plants touch.

 The other one, Dracula chimaera, is located
farther from the light (approximately 1000 footcandles) and is closer to
the fan (the leaves flutter in the breeze).  It has nice looking leaves,
but some of the leaves have started drooping.

K.. Without knowing the particulars, I can say that your fan sounds to be too strong. You want air movement, not draftiness or wind... Dracs are lower mountain forrest orchids, liking damp, wet, forrest conditions.. Masds, like wind.. not dracs.

 I'm not sure it's because
of the fan because the leaves that are moving are not the ones that have
drooped.  Maybe it's the humidity or it needs more frequent waterings (I
have noticed that those plants closest to the fan will dry out the
quickest).

There is another possibility which jumps to mind:  The plants may already be stressed in another way, perhaps a scale problem, or root problem, and the shock of a new environment is too much..
Have you looked at the roots?

  • [pleurothallid-l] Re: Dryadella edwallii and some others, Bryan Whelan, 11/15/2003