piw - [piw] Re: [pcplantdb] data/security model proposal

piw AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Information Web

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson AT stanfordalumni.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [piw] Re: [pcplantdb] data/security model proposal
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:39:10 -0800

What if there's different, and perhaps complimentary, information in entries
about the same plant/relationship - but because they get different ratings,
they aren't necessarily read together?

For example, entry 1 and 2 are about the same plant/relationship. Entry 1 has
information X, entry 2 has information Y. Information X and Y are
complimentary, but because entry 1 gets a higher rating than entry 2, readers
only read information X and miss information Y. Or is someone (i.e. users)
going to take responsibility for condensing information, so that bits and
peices from different entries can be woven together?

Although this model is successful from the vantage point of ensuring quality,
Chad mentioned that it will end up fragmenting the content...

Also, I've been thinking about filtering. There is already such an abundance
of information - and when it gets overabundant, it becomes useless. Can
entries be deleted by users/moderators - i.e. if they get a low enough rating
or are not used for a given amount of time? How to present only relevant and
useful information, vs. storing all information for the sake of storage? How
to allow information, when it becomes obsolete, to go extinct?

some change I found in my pocket
*Stephanie