piw - [piw] Black Walnut Guild

piw AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Information Web

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster AT pfaf.org>
  • To: Permaculture Information Web <piw AT lists.ibiblio.org>, PCPLANTDB <pcplantdb AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [piw] Black Walnut Guild
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 00:00:50 +0000

Hi Folks,
I hope most people have been following the posts on the pclist
on Persimon Guilds and Black Walnut guild.

I tought it might be constructive to examin one of the posts and see how we colud fit it into database.

In response to the disparaging comments about Black Walnut, I'm posting my research on Black Walnut ecology and companion planting. A list of productive species for Black Walnut understory appears at the bottom.

Rob Scott
Urbana Permaculture Project
Urbana, IL

Black Walnuts (Juglans nigra) and Hackberry (Celtis occidentalis) occur together naturally, both are reported to be allelopathic, for separate but overlapping sets of plants. In warmer climates, the closely related Sugarberry (Celtis laevigata) would be a more fruitful associate.

One example of plants growing together naturally.
One example of an allelopathic relationship.

Why is Black Walnut toxic?

Black Walnuts produce a toxin called "juglone" in all parts of the tree. It is an antirespiratory compound with a phenolic ring. It probably evolved to deter insect pests, not plants or humans. Fishermen have used ground up walnut hulls to attract fish to the surface of the water; the juglone slows fish respiration and the fish come to the surface to breathe. Juglone in leaf litter degrades in about 2 days, so raked up leaf mulch is not toxic. Walnut tree roots constantly release juglone, and this is why nearby plants often die.

Specific example on adverse effect of plant on other plants.

What companion plants help Black Walnut grow?

Control experiments in Illinois found that Autumn Olive (Elaeagnus sp.) work better as a symbiont for promoting Black Walnut growth than Black Locust (Robinia pseudoacacia). Both fix nitrogen, but the Autumn Olive doesn't compete with the Black Walnut as much and seems to reduce deer browse. The net effect of Black Locust was to set back Black Walnut by shading. Degraded sites will yield different results as Black Locust better restores depleted soils.

Some quite details description of a relationship.

What naturally grows under Black Walnut?

Redbud (Cercis canadensis), Pawpaw (Asimina triloba), and Spicebush (Calycanthus occidentalis) grow as understory shrubs under Black Walnut naturally in Central Illinois. Ground level wildflowers are no less abundant under Black Walnuts than in other natural forest communities.

More examples of relationships. Emphesis on specific roles of plants.

Does Black Walnut create a lot of shade?

Black Walnuts let through a lot of sunlight. Shade is "dappled" even after leaves have fully emerged. Bud break in Black Walnut occurs in late spring, allowing sun penetration to the forest floor for a few months before leafing out. A rust fungus commonly causes anthracnose in Black Walnut leading to early leaf-drop and dormancy in the fall, adding another month of full sun penetration. Understory shrubs have been shown to reduce anthracnose infection by breaking the ground-to-leaf cycle.

What productive plants can grow under Black Walnut?

(in no particular order)
American Black Currant - Ribes americanum
European Currant - Ribes nigra, Ribes rubrum, Ribes alba
Missouri Gooseberry - Ribes missouriensis
American Elderberry - Sambucus canadensis
Black Raspberry - Rubus ideaus
Siberian Pea Shrub - Caragana arboescens
Mulberries - Morus nigra, Morus alba
Alpine Strawberries - Fragaria vesca
Goldenseal - Hydrastis canadensis
Wild Ginger - Asarum canadense
Pawpaw - Asimina triloba
Redbud - Cercis canadensis - legume
Bamboo - Phyllostachys spp.
"Rose of Sharon" Hibiscus - Hibiscus Syriacus
Lamb's Quarters - Chenopodium alba
Catnip - Nepata cataria
Daylily - Hemerocallis sp
Sunchokes - Helianthus tuberosa

More example relationships.

This is a good way to control the spread of sunchokes, and the tubers are of fine size and quality even when shade grown. Dandelions, Violets and Creeping Charlie have also grown naturally in Illinois Black Walnut Guilds. Toby Hemenway mentions Woldberry (Lycium spp) in Gaia's Garden for growing near Walnut, but it doesn't grow well in Illinois.

Overal a very good post, just the sort of info I'd love to get into the db.

Most seems to be specific plant-plant relationships.
Some anotation of the relationship is needed "grows under" etc.

Rich

  • [piw] Black Walnut Guild, Richard Morris, 02/17/2005