piw - [piw] teething problems?

piw AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Information Web

  • From: Robyn Williamson <rz.williamson AT optusnet.com.au>
  • To: piw AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [piw] teething problems?
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 00:58:36 +1100

Hi friends of permaculture

First of all, many thanks, heartiest congratulations and applause to all of you who managed to get this off the ground. Well done!

However, and this is FYI only, not a criticism - I just did my first search for "Grevillea". It returned 370 matches for 'grevillea' but only one of them was a Grevillea [G. robusta]. There were a few others in the family Proteaceae but the rest were nothing to do with Grevilleas and weren't sorted alphabetically.

Then I searched "Apple Mint" and it returned 162 matches for 'apple mint'. I got lots of mints, apples, pineapples, Mentha species, Labiatae (now Lamiaceae) and Rosaceae families, fair enough, but about half maybe two-thirds the way through the list, Chives (Allium schoenophrasum) showed up, then lots of clovers (Trifolium spp. family Leguminosae now Fabaceae), after that were nothing to do with mint, apples or pineapples, and not sorted alphabetically.

Is this normal? I don't know if it matters to most people, especially non-horties, but I for one do not have enough internet time available to scroll hundreds of matches. Or maybe this is returning compatible/guild species as well?

Also when/how can we start adding our own species? Are we going to be able to upload any photos?

Best regards
Robyn