person_county_beekeepers_association - [PCBA] In Memory of Bill Sheppard

  • From: Whitney Barnes <spud1296 AT charter.net>
  • To: person_county_beekeepers_association AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [PCBA] In Memory of Bill Sheppard
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 13:55:09 -0500

Sadly I received this email today and wanted to share it with everyone. This man was the nicest and most giving person.  I was fortunate enough to meet him through the state bee conventions. Please read the bee buzz article so you can see what a treasure we lost in his passing. I was curious to see if the club thought it might be nice to make a 2017 memorial donation to the bee foundation in his name.

Whitney Barnes

To NCSBA Beekeepers,

Bill Sheppard passed away at his home early Friday morning. We are all
saddened by the news of the death of our dear friend and hope that his
family can find peace with the loss of a husband, father, grandfather,
great-grandfather and friend of many people.

Bill was for many decades part of a large beekeeping family. There are
thousands of beekeepers in our state but only a handful with a story such
as Bill’s. I hope that we all will take the opportunity to read the
wonderful Bee Buzz article written about Bill Sheppard by Lane Kreitlow.
Please take this opportunity to click on the link below and you will read
a story about a boy who grew up keeping bees with his father, William H.
Sheppard, Sr., who never lost his love or interest in beekeeping and as
his father taught him, helped others to learn about and to love
beekeeping. You will read a remarkable story about Bill’s contributions to
others here
http://www.ncbeekeepers.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Bee-Buzz-Fall-2016.p
df.

Bill’s later years saw his health going downhill but his attitude and
effort steadfastly remained upbeat. He remained active in speaking to
beekeepers as much as he was able and he attended our recent state
meetings to sell puzzles that he had helped to make in order to continue
his support for the Apiculture Science program at NC State. Those who knew
or met Bill soon came to appreciate his spirit and great sense of humor.

An obituary for Bill can be read online at:
http://www.aberdeentimes.com/index.php/obituaries/item/6635-william-billy-h
oward-sheppard-jr-of-aberdeen-obituary.

Bill’s funeral will be on Monday at 2:00 at Page Memorial United
Methodist Church in Aberdeen, NC. His wife, Sandra Sheppard, has asked
that memorial contributions be made to the Apiculture Science program at
NC State in Bill’s honor. NCSBA members can make donations directly to our
treasurer, Bob Gaddis, or by donating directing to the NC Agriculture
Foundation. To contact Bob Gaddis, please send mail to 44205 Hwy 11 North,
Grifton, NC, 28530. To make a memorial contribution to the NC Agricultural
Foundation, please visit http://go.ncsu.edu/apiculture. The online
instructions are easy to follow. People can enter Bill’s address and the
Sheppard family will receive a card from NCSU acknowledging their donation:

   Sandra Sheppard
   263 Carolina Road
   Aberdeen, NC 28315​

Sandra Sheppard drove Bill to Burlington in order for him to attend our
fall Executive Committee meeting. There, he spoke to the board about his
plans to build more puzzles to sell at the state meetings. He offered us
his inspiration; he also made us laugh a couple of times. He had some
difficulty getting around the room but otherwise he was his same old self,
dedicated, upbeat and with a great sense of humor.

Rick Coor, NCSBA President 2016

Sent from my iPad

  • [PCBA] In Memory of Bill Sheppard, Whitney Barnes, 12/05/2016