person_county_beekeepers_association - Re: [PCBA] Moving frame of capped brood to weak hive from strong one

  • From: "flatriverfarm AT netzero.net" <flatriverfarm AT netzero.net>
  • To: s.randall.austin AT gmail.com
  • Cc: maryflorence AT me.com, person_county_beekeepers_association AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [PCBA] Moving frame of capped brood to weak hive from strong one
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 00:04:49 GMT

That is what I was going to say also!

Carol Carter
Flat River Farm
Hurdle Mills, NC

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Randall Austin <s.randall.austin AT gmail.com>
To: Mary Florence <maryflorence AT me.com>,
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 15:57:15 -0400

Mary,

When I move frames of brood like that to boost another hive, I leave the
nurse bees on the brood frame that is being transferred. They are part
of the boost to the weak hive. Nurse bees aren't old & grumpy like
foragers and are less inclined to fight other bees. Since they aren't
coming in through the entrance, they don't trigger defensiveness from
the guard bees either.

If you don't do that, it sounds like you many not have enough nurse bees
in the new hive to keep the brood warm.

Others may have other opinions, but this seems to work for me.

Randall

On 5/26/2015 1:35 PM, Mary Florence wrote:
> I have a very strong hive with lots of bees and 3+ frames of capped brood.
> I want to move one or two frames of brood to a hive with laying queen,
> small amount of capped brood, but barely enough bees to cover one side of a
> frame.
>
> When I move these, do I leave the bees on the frame of brood from with
> strong hive, or brush them off and put frame in with as few bees as
> possible? My concern is that the bees might not accept each other or the
> bees from strong hive might kill off the queen.

Old School Yearbook Pics
View Class Yearbooks Online Free. Search by School & Year. Look Now!
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/55650a4a56958a4a2b4fst01duc