person_county_beekeepers_association - [PCBA] Fwd: pick-your-own farms list in N&O

  • From: Mary Deitz <mdeitz625 AT gmail.com>
  • To: LIST SERV <Person_County_Beekeepers_Association AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [PCBA] Fwd: pick-your-own farms list in N&O
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 09:59:17 -0400

FYI
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Debbie Roos <debbie.roos AT chathamnc.org>
Date: Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 9:47 AM
Subject: pick-your-own farms list in N&O
To: "sustagchatham AT lists.ncsu.edu" <sustagchatham AT lists.ncsu.edu>

If you have a pick-your-own farm in the Triangle region, you will want to make sure it is listed in the News & Observer newspaper. See email below to learn how to make this happen.

Debbie Roos
Agricultural Extension Agent
Chatham County Center

North Carolina Cooperative Extension
919.542.8202
debbie_roos AT ncsu.edu

www.growingsmallfarms.org

www.facebook.com/debbie.roos.nc

www.twitter.com/GrowSmallFarms

All electronic mail messages in connection with State business which are sent to or received by this account are subject to the NC Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.

Dear Farmers,

This is Andrea Weigl, the food writer at The News & Observer in Raleigh, N.C. Each spring we run a list of pick-your-own farms in the Triangle area (Wake, Orange, Durham, Chatham, Johnston, Franklin and Granville counties.)

We are doing so again on April 23 timed to what we expect will be the start of the strawberry crop. Although we publish the list at the start of strawberry season, the list is not limited to pick-your-own strawberry farms. We want farmers with pick-your-own blueberries, pumpkins, muscadine grapes and whatever else people can get in the field and pick. This list is NOT intended for those farmers who only operate farm stands.

Normally, I compile the list by calling the farms that have been on the previous year's list, checking with the strawberry association and ncfarmfresh.org

This year, we're asking farmers to enter the information online to be included. (I'm going to be asking farmers' market managers to do the same thing for our annual list of farmers' markets throughout the Triangle.) Farmers can enter information online at triangle.com and the farm listing will populate in our publishing system. Our circulation for the daily paper is about 130,000 homes in the greater Triangle area. The list also will be online and featured prominently throughout the year on my blog, newsobserver.com/Mouthful

Here are the instructions on how to get your farm listed:

Go to www.triangle.com and create an account.

Click on Events on the main bar along the top. On the next page, you will see a +add to our listings on the righthand side. Click on that and it will take you to a new page. Click on Create a New Event. Then you will get a form to enter event details.

List the name of the farm in the Event name.

Choose Food & Dining as the category.

Put these details in the event description: days and hours of operation, address, phone, website, what crops are available as pick-your-own.

This is VERY IMPORTANT: In the tags field, please put this word: farm. This will help us later find all the farm listings on triangle.com

Create a location for your event. First search to see if anyone has ever entered your farm into the database. If not, when you scroll down to the bottom of the list generated right, you will see a "Create a New Venue" Button. Click on that button, fill that form and press save and continue.

Then Choose Start Time and Date. Choose the earliest date you expect to be open and pick the times that your farm is open for business.

(We understand that this is an estimate. We will urge readers to call first before they venture out to any farms.)

If anyone struggles to do this or has any questions, please have them call me directly. My numbers are below.

--

Andrea Weigl

Food Writer

The News & Observer

215 S. McDowell St.

Raleigh NC 27601

c - 919-518-7679 (only return calls from publicists, please)

Twitter: @andreaweigl

Pre-order my new cookbook, "Pickles & Preserves: A Savor the South Cookbook," at goo.gl/byqGMK

Check out my calendar of book events, starting March 12 at Quail Ridge Books and Music: http://goo.gl/nr3gsx

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 9616 (20140331) __________

http://www.eset.com

  • [PCBA] Fwd: pick-your-own farms list in N&O, Mary Deitz, 03/31/2014