person_county_beekeepers_association - [PCBA] Journeyman Challenge for Certified Beekeepers

  • From: Lynn S Wilson <wilsonls AT esinc.net>
  • To: Randall Austin <s.randall.austin AT gmail.com>, Undisclosed-recipients: <>;
  • Cc: Person County Beekeepers <person_county_beekeepers_association AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [PCBA] Journeyman Challenge for Certified Beekeepers
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 15:08:57 -0500

Randall Austin, Master Beekeeper has volunteered to coach Certified Beekeepers who want to take it to the next level ... Journeyman.

TO DO NOW:  Put the Target Dates on your calendar.
 Put Independent Study Dates on your calendar too.
 Review the study guide and order books, if needed.
 Register for Dr. Ambrose's short course.
Volunteer to help with FIVE PCBA Bee education projects such as Ag Day to earn your required five public service credits.

BY TUESDAY before each Target Date, call me to let me know if you'll be coming for Study-and-Sunday-Supper.

Objective 1:  At least 5 PCBA members will pass the journeyman test during the July 10-12 NCSBA meeting at Wilkes Community College.

The plan: Using NCSBA’s Study Guide, follow independent reading and self-quizzing with “mini-presentations” at a group meeting at my house (followed by supper) on the target dates.

The timing:   I’m suggesting that we plan 3 meetings, plus the optional class with Dr. Ambrose, between now and the test date.

Here’s an idea to get started:  Before you do any more studying, use the Journeyman’s Study Guide and give yourself a PRE-Test!   (No one sees this but you.)

TARGET DATES
Thursday, March 6... Short prep course with Dr. Ambrose in Wilmington on March 6 during NCSBA spring meeting  (optional)

Sunday, May 4 at 5 PM
I.  Parts of flowers, honey labeling and scoring
II.  Bee biology

Sunday, June 1  at 5 PM
III.  Honey bee diseases (bacterial, viral, other), other health problems and "prescriptions"
IV. Honey bee mites and treatments

Sunday, July 6 at 5 PM ... REVIEW...dividing up the questions so that each study group member presents one or more answers to the group.

Sunday, August 6 at 5 PM...Part VI.  Congratulation/Consolations and brainstorming about how to “grow” better beekeeper mentors in PCBA.

Objective 2:   At least 5 PCBA Journeyman will be available as beekeeping mentors for this summer season, helping a beginning beekeeper.*

When helping hand may be appreciated:
    1. install a package and/or follow-up inspection to sure queen has been released and is laying eggs.
    2. when new beekeeper is making a decision about adding a second deep
    3. Varroa mite sugar shake test-last two weeks in July
    4. Varroa mite sugar shake test-first week in September
How can PCBA cultivate "bee mentors", people who know how to be a second set of hands and eyes at the hive and make recommendations, if requested, but, in a way that helps the beekeeper identify his own goals and management style, be the decision-maker and "do it" him or herself? SCBA includes being a mentor for at least one season among its public service options.  I think we should get this added to the NC options too as Inge's help has been a huge boost for me.

Resources:

Suggestions from Randall Austin:   "The Hive and the Honey Bee" contains everything you possibly could ever need to know. Another good resource is Diana Sammataro's "The Beekeeper's Handbook". Mark Winston's "Honey Bee Biology" is very good for the biology stuff.