person_county_beekeepers_association - Re: [PCBA] Person_County_Beekeepers_Association Digest, Vol 26, Issue 12

  • From: Randall Austin <s.randall.austin AT gmail.com>
  • To: Samantha Gasson <gassonstirrup AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Person County Beekeepers <person_county_beekeepers_association AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PCBA] Person_County_Beekeepers_Association Digest, Vol 26, Issue 12
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 15:53:09 -0400

Samantha,

I have two experienced-based suggestions on dealing with a swarm that's out of reach:

1) wave goodbye to them and take pleasure knowing that you are repopulating the feral bee population. I get to do this a lot!

2) cut the tree down. I did this once and it didn't work at all --- the bees took off before the tree even hit the ground, and settled even higher on a tree next to the first one.

I am very eager to hear if others have better ideas!

Randall Austin