person_county_beekeepers_association - [PCBA] Swarm question

  • From: <heartandhandsfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: "person_county_beekeepers_association AT lists.ibiblio.org" <person_county_beekeepers_association AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [PCBA] Swarm question
  • Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 01:20:24 +0000

I was dressed and about to check my dads hives when I looked out at the apiary and saw the bees swarming. I followed them across a field, they were hauling ----, and then out of site. I went across road hoping to find them, but no luck. I returned to the apiary and behold. There was a swarm in the cedar tree near the first hive. I had a empty nuc, proceeded to cut limb and shook bees into box. I waited about 5 minutes and then noticed a small swarm back on the cedar. I cut that limb as well. However, bees seemed to want to fly. I then noticed many of the bees returning to the hive.

So, I went ahead and just briefly checked my dads hives because of all the activity. Added a honey super to each. Lots of bees. I went back to nuc where I had deposited swarm and most bees gone. No queen.

So, question, should I have waited longer before trying to catch swarm? I read on internet that swarm needs to settle. Or, was the queen a virgin? Will hive try to swarm again?

I am thinking of going back in hives tomorrow to look for queen cells,etc. Should I split if there are queen cells?

Confused. Could someone give advice?

Thanks Lelia Gentry

Sent from Windows Mail