percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Moviegoer-Ch 5; Response to Janet

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion of Walker Percy

  • From: lowry.charles AT gmail.com
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Moviegoer-Ch 5; Response to Janet
  • Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2024 22:56:06 -0400

It is certainly profitless to gather chaff from a field where Janet, Leonard and John have reaped, but just a couple thoughts:

* I think y’all are absolutely right that Aunt Emily has not much use for—or understanding of—the search in which Binx is engaged.  The definitive clue, however, comes well before Chapter 5.  “My father’s family thinks that the world makes sense without God and that anybody but an idiot knows what the good life is and anybody but a scoundrel can live it.” Chapter 3, p. 146.

* As one who has for sixty years nursed a deep love for the Latin language, I was gratified to read the discussion about the meaning (whether it ought to be thought of as annoying or inconvenient relentless) of importunate.  Latin literature is very full of examples of both usages.  I wonder if there are hints in the etymology of importunus that lead us to “knocking that does not stop until there is an answer.”  That would certainly give an emphasis to Janet’s discussion of the divine “importunate grace.”

* More than sixty years ago, an anonymous subeditor at Knopf wrote what I always thought was an excellent summary of the ending, for the dust jacket: “Binx’s rediscovery of the strengths of his tradition coincides with his new-found capacity to encounter and love Kate as a person in her own right.”

* Through the gracious generosity of listening member Marcus Smith, tomorrow we shall have light shed on the discussion of the very ending of the novel.  Stay tuned, because you will not want to miss this!

Chuck Lowry
Brooklyn, New York