percy-l - Re: [percy-l] The Last Gentleman

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "janetcantor37 AT yahoo.com" <janetcantor37 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] The Last Gentleman
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 20:38:33 +0000 (UTC)

Binx's aunt flummoxed me, too
 I loved her because she kept Binx in line and I thought Percy loved her too for the same reason. Imagine my surprise when scholars were unhappy with her for reasons of their own. We each read Percy and are sure we know what he is on about. But sometimes, as is often the case, we read him through the prism of our own experiences.

In general, non scholar me, it is not a prerequisite that I respect a character in a novel. It is the journey the novelist sends me on that matters.
You should love the fun house story of Love in the Ruins.

As you read and reread these challenging novels, see if you can decipher a bottom line from all of them. To me they all have similar conclusions. See if you agree.

Happy reading.

Janet Cantor

On Mon, Apr 17, 2023 at 1:31 PM, Michael Martin Serafin