percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Walker Percy: Faith and Science in the Ruins

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "janetcantor37 AT yahoo.com" <janetcantor37 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Walker Percy: Faith and Science in the Ruins
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 20:56:30 +0000 (UTC)

Two marvelous things to read! To help make an ordinary weekday afternoon so much less ordinary.

Christopher Baglow's very readable and endlessly interesting paper was a real treat for me. I am a non scholar who may not understand every word, or even retain all that she reads, but who is constantly searching and longing to improve.

And anything by Jessica Hooten Wilson amazes me. She is a delightful plain speaking writer and professor who never fails to educate me.

These are two scholars who are light years above me, but they are good communicators and kept me fascinated.

If I had the time, I could have kept on reading other articles, but so much riches in just these two pieces had to be enough to reflect on for the moment.

I like one detail included here in the Baglow piece about Love in the Ruins. There is that movement of the dark glasses that flip down to make the wearer seem blind, and that idea of seeing and not seeing in the following passages. There is even the use of the word
"eye-talian" inserted to undergird the idea. So often tiny images that seem to be interruptions in Percy, are the main motives for the passages.

The more commentary I read on Walker Percy, the more it seems my small assessment of the endings of the Percy novels works for me. After all of his fun house goofy plots with their digressions that seem irrelevant, but in Percy novels nothing is irrelevant, in each novel everything comes to the same bottom line: get over yourself, love and take care of someone else, and prepare yourself to be worthy of G-d's Grace.

What a wonderful way to use an hour. Thank you.

Janet Cantor