percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Percy & McCarthy

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Beck, David A" <dabeck AT iupui.edu>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Percy & McCarthy
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 00:04:43 +0000

I'm interested in hearing what those on the list have to say about The Passenger. I listened to the novel as soon as it came out. I seldom finish a novel and then want to reread it immediately (avoid listening to this one, despite the great performances).  But I bought the book and am rereading it now. There is definitely a "search," but I'm not clear what the search is for, and I don't think the main character (the brother) knows either.

As for the Percy connection, all I can say, at this point, is McCarthy's lack of conclusion is far different from Percy's works. That's not a criticism but that's how they differ.

Volume Two, Stella Maris, was released this week. Of course, SM means Star of the Sea, a reference to the Virgin Mary. It's also the name of the mental hospital where the sister is hospitalized.

Interesting article. I hope it will start a discussion. I plan to start Stella Maris soon.

-David

David Beck
Senior Lecturer

English Department

Indiana University and Purdue University at Indianapolis

425 University Boulevard,
CA 343-E
Indianapolis, IN 46202
317-278-2550