percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Percy & GK Chesterton

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Karl M. Terrell" <kterrell AT stokeswagner.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Percy & GK Chesterton
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 17:28:43 +0000

I am not a Catholic, nor adherent to any dogma, but have always admired Percy’s literary illustrations tied to his conversion. The quoted Q&A in this article, in which – aligned with Chesterton – Percy points out the limitations of so-called scientific humanism, reminds me that Chesterton was a fierce opponent of eugenics, which was then a popular idea in many western nations (and remained as such under Naziism). The following is source-cited in the Wikipedia article on Chesterton:

[Chesterton] derided such ideas as founded on nonsense, "as if one had a right to dragoon and enslave one's fellow citizens as a kind of chemical experiment".[79 ]Chesterton mocked the idea that poverty was a result of bad breeding: “... The poor are not a race or even a type. It is senseless to talk about breeding them; for they are not a breed. They are, in cold fact, what Dickens describes: 'a dustbin of individual accidents,' of damaged dignity, and often of damaged gentility."

Karl Terrell