percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Percy-L Digest, Vol 168, Issue 1 - Re Doug Brown

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Doug Brown <wply1223 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Stephen Holmgren <stephenholmgren AT me.com>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Percy-L Digest, Vol 168, Issue 1 - Re Doug Brown
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 10:40:44 -0400

Hi Stephen,

I appreciate the kind words from you and other people here at Percy-L (looking at you -  Rhonda and Jonathan and Janet).

I think the two thoughts you raise are important to consider.

I've tried not to be too overt in promoting my book on this site. I'm just here to share in the community of Percy fans. That said, I do address both of your excellent questions/points in the middle section of my little book:
  1. I think Percy's essays are not just supplemental to his novels, but provide a (slightly) more direct answer to the questions he raises in his novels - that is, how to live a soulful life in response to the crazy world we have.
  2. I too wonder if Percy was aware of this sequence as I outline it. My only conclusion is that if he was not deliberate in this progression, he would probably at least be amused to have it pointed out to him.
For anyone considering reading my book, I should point out that it is more memoir than academic analysis. I do write a fair amount about Percy in the book, but I don't want you to buy it thinking it deals primarily with Percy. Instead, it deals a lot with grief and storytelling, but I think it's also pretty funny.

Thanks,
Doug