percy-l - Re: [percy-l] More "Moviegoer"

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Henry P. Mills" <wppdirector AT gmail.com>
  • To: Percy-L <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] More "Moviegoer"
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2019 02:31:23 -0500

Michael et al,

Perhaps this brief transcription might shed some light on Malick and his use of the MG as noted in an earlier Percy-L post on his 2016 release of  "Knight of Cups."  Quite an amusing anecdote from lead Christian Bale. Did anyone see the movie to comment?

Thanks for calling our attention to the new edition of the MG and Paul Elie’s afterword, Michael.

Best,
Henry Mills
Percy-L Administrator

----
Christian Bale hates talking about acting: 'I just want to push a pencil through my eyeball'
Audio Interview by Take Two, Southern California Public Radio
March 04 2016

While working on "Knight of Cups," Terrence Malik's latest film,
Christian Bale didn't have much to work with.

"We would get on the set, they're already filming me [and] I don't know
what we're doing," said Bale. "The only research that Terry really gave
me other than our conversations — which were extensive — was the book by
Walker Percy, 'The Moviegoer,' where he's on a search for who knows
exactly what, but you know you must be on that search.

Bale, who's best known for his roles in the Batman series, "The Fighter"
and his Oscar-nominated turn in "The Big Short," plays a decidedly
different character this time: a screenwriter named Rick that has lost
his way, spiritually and emotionally.

He spoke to Take Two about the film, which is set in Los Angeles,
touching on the director's unique methods, filming with a confused cast,
how conversations about acting make him feel and more.

On Terrence Malik's style:

"He talked about how he wants to start to move towards films where
there's just no script whatsoever. Making a film that is more like, more
akin to a piece of music or to literature where the audience [have]
their own feelings about the film rather than being dictated to about
what they should be feeling... A lot of times he loves the fact that you
didn't say your lines. It's always just about being absolutely sincere
and truthful."

...continue the article and above media at:

ORIGINAL PERCY-L POST