percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Percy and Bourbon and the controversies surrounding Scotch

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Charles Lowry <lowry.charles AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Percy and Bourbon and the controversies surrounding Scotch
  • Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2016 19:10:41 -0500

Dr. Percy was born thirty-two years before I was, so we did not have Two Natural in common, though I still have on the sideboard a bottle of Early Times.  We too had our college years "economy brands" of bourbon in Cincinnati, just as Dr Percy had in Chapel Hill.  We very contentedly drank Bardwell Deluxe ($3.69 for a fifth) until we chanced upon Old Crab Orchard ($4.05 for a quart).  It is a gratifying source of astonishment to me that any shreds of my esophagus remain.

To read Walker Percy's defense of bourbon is to realize that even this very famous and  skillful writer was, in Francis Bacon's memorable phrase, "drenched in flesh and blood."

Chuck Lowry
Brooklyn, NY