percy-l - Re: [percy-l] slow read of The Second Coming

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Lauren Stacy Berdy <lauren.stacy.berdy AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] slow read of The Second Coming
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2016 11:55:15 -0400

I want like to bring the discussion back to our own inner lives

From the beginning I understand Will's pain talking to pain.

We all inside of us have a constant inner dialogue that guides and drives us ( sometimes crazy)

For myself as I read of the "pied weed at the edge of the rough gave off a faint acrid smell which rose to his nostrils" He was even then beginning to re-own his thoughts........the sweet thoughts that come thru before ego plays its role. I know nothing of the game of golf but I read once that the best happens when you leave thinking alone.

All of this is to say that Will is beginning to sense that his thoughts have separated him from his essential nature.

(" rather than a self sucking everything into itself")

He is still telling himself stories of Ethel Rosenbaum and  broken subway tiles and the missing Jews............but that's the pain mind talking.

but he has splendid moments when the shadows clear .........as we all do................

onward.

Thank you

Lauren Stacy Berdy
(614) 314-4162 cell