percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Walker Percy Exhibit in NYC, Jan. 17-19, scheduled at Crossroads Cultural Center

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Henry Mills <wppdirector AT gmail.com>
  • To: Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Walker Percy Exhibit in NYC, Jan. 17-19, scheduled at Crossroads Cultural Center
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 09:40:26 -0500

This is a forwarded post for list member Chuck Lowry <lowry.charles AT gmail.com>.

Thanks, Chuck!

Henry Mills

--
Post by Chuck Lowry:

I went this afternoon to the Walker Percy exhibit put on by New York Encounter, a cultural outreach of the Catholic association Communion and Liberation. The program comprised twenty-nine (yes, I counted them) posters arranged around four walls. The slides offered perspectives on biographical, literary and philosophical aspects of Percy's life and work.

The commentary was prepared and the Percy quotation selected by Tom Tobin, an academic who is a familiar figure at New York-area conferences on Percy. Tom makes no secret of the fact that he read *The Moviegoer* at the behest of an acquaintance and immediately put his life on hold until he had read all the rest of Percy. That is, I note, exactly what happened to me. Tom seemed to indicate that his two favorite Percy novels were *Love in the Ruins* and *The Second Coming*.

Between Friday evening and Sunday evening there were eight or ten "guided tours" around the posters. I was fortunate to attend one at noon today that was conducted by Tom himself, though he did not conduct them all. The tour I was on took nearly an hour.

I had the impression that most of the folks on the tour were more interested in Catholicism than in literature, but in an hour they got a good bit of information on Percy's life, the influences on him and the varieties of his work. If I may be taken as a typical member of this list, I would probably say that I did not learn anything, but I was reminded --pleasantly-- of many things, and I'm sure now that I'll go back and look at some Percy writing again. It is, I am sure you will all agree, a great thing to be reminded of the great Percy quotations. I shall close this note with one such:

"I believe in God and the whole business but I love women best, music and science next, whiskey next, God fourth, and my fellowman hardly at all. Generally I do as I please. A man, wrote John, who says he believes in God and does not keep his commandments is a liar. If John is right, then I am a liar. Nevertheless, I still believe." *Love in the Ruins*

Substitute *literature* for *science* and I think I'll plead guilty and throw myself on the mercy of the Court.

Chuck Lowry
Brooklyn, NY