percy-l - Re: [percy-l] New Member Greeting

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Gray, Rich" <RGray AT montreat.edu>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] New Member Greeting
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 08:16:33 -0500

Harry Whelchel,

I have been fascinated by connections between O’Connor and Percy.  Their careers barely overlapped, running mainly end-to-end.  They met once at a conference at Loyola, New Orleans.  Percy alluded often to O’Connor as successfully bridging to a broad, religiously skeptical readership, and Percy claimed—correctly I believe—that he had drawn from O’Connor’s poetics.  You might look at Rich Gray, “Walker Percy’s Appeal to Searchers: The Last Gentleman and The Second Coming,” by Rich Gray, Christian Scholars Review, 41:1 (fall 2011) 15-34.

You have tackled a complex novel in Lancelot.  It stands apart from Percy’s other work, in that Lance’s 200 page harangue reveals his spiritual lostness, without much interest in Christianity or religious faith of any sort.  The artful conclusion can support your thesis, with references to Percy’s essays.  Percy’s interviews should also shed light: Lewis Lawson and Victor Kramer, eds., Conversations with Walker Percy (Jackson: U. Mississippi Press, 1985), and More Conversations with Walker Percy, same editors and publisher, 1993.