percy-l - Re: [percy-l] A Walker Percy piece written for the NY Times 30 years ago

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: janet cantor <janetcantor37 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] A Walker Percy piece written for the NY Times 30 years ago
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 08:20:18 -0800 (PST)

Whew!
Walker Percy announced that he was speaking as novelist, not as a doctor. He gave his opinion as a novelist. He also complained that some of his allies give him as big a pain as his opponents on this issue. You don't give him credit for this admission.
As a free citizen with an opinion he has a right to offer it.
You don't seem to show that you think he has that right.

I appreciated your scientific descriptions and they are interesting to bring to the table.
And I loved your comment about Dracula. That was something I expect the novelist, Percy would have appreciated a lot.

Here's where you go too far, I think. Remember I too am a free citizen with the right to express my opinion.

To talk about the authoritarianism of the anti abortionists without acknowledging that pro choice people have their own authoritarianism is to be either blissfully unaware or to leave out a big fact. I am willing to consider all sides in this complicated issue. I don't have a real side. I agree with some things in both
arguments. But when I listen to pro choicers, they are much more obnoxious and closed minded than most pro lifers I know. And I know personally a lot of leaders in the pro life movement. I find them as people much more affable and open to argument than my pro choice friends, whom I often find utterly unwilling to accept the good intentions of the pro life people.This is a complicated issue and neither side should dismiss the other's humanity or good intentions. Talk about authoritarianism - the pro choicers take the prize in my small experience. Talk about brandishing literalism, the pro choicers again show much more evidence of that than most pro lifers I know. When I argued with no less than William F. Buckley on this very subject about his wrongheadedness in trying to foist his will on mothers whom he, then, would have no responsibility for what they would have to  bear because of his forced decision, he agreed with me and devoted a full half of a future issue to present all sides of this compllicated issue. show me any pro choicer who would be so generous.
Your paragraph on your difficulty because you are autoimmune and don't like when scientific decisions are made by people with no scientific knowledge is apt. But then why would you celebrate government bureaucrats deciding your life and death decisions in a nationalized health care or insurance plan?
 No one is working to keep you from getting health insurance. In fact you should applaud those who are working to try to make insurance more affordable and available. But you are assuming that only if the government provides it is it good. It seems to me you talk out of both sides of your mouth.
You ask what is the point of making something a crime if you can't detect it. Will you also decry Obamacare's plan to make it a crime if a doctor does not do exactly what the government forces him to do, to the tune of $100,000. per instance? Is this what we want from our government?
You ask what Walker Percy is suggesting in this editorial. He is suggesting, as an observer of humanity, that when someone cavalierly destroys a fetus because a baby is an inconvenience, instead of thinking beforehand and behaving more responsibly, that he destroys his humanity and perhaps our society. Percy may be naive, but he is a free citizen and has the right to express his opinion. You can compare it to when Nancy Reagan said, "Just say no." We all know that is naive and impossible. People take drugs. They are self destructive and stupid, but some people just are that way. But how does it hurt our society if a public person tries to set a good example?
Walker Percy showed in the epilogue to The Moviegoer, I believe, that he had something like this on his mind. We should take responsibility for ourselves and for others. We should make choices that do no harm, or less harm. His writing this editorial is consistent with what he thinks. Why are you so threatened by what he is expressing here? What is it you see when you look in the mirror, I wonder?