percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Percy quote? (UNCLASSIFIED)

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Jonathan Potter <jopomojo AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Percy quote? (UNCLASSIFIED)
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 07:49:49 -0800

Robert,

Could this be the passage you had in mind:

Lost in the Cosmos, p. 146-7 (From "The Orbiting Self" section): "Only one example comes to mind of a writer who, though performing at a very high level of twentieth-century art, nevertheless manages to live on one of the few remaining islands of a more or less intact culture, in the very house where she was born, to enter into an intercourse with the society around her as naturally as the Chartres sculptor, to appear as herself, her self, the same self, both to fellow writer and fellow townsman: Eudora Welty.  Perhaps also William Carlos Williams.  If you do not think this remarkable, imagine that you have lived your entire life in the house where you were born.  For an American, an uncanny, even an unsettling fantasy."

Best regards,

Jonathan Potter
Spokane WA