percy-l - Re: [percy-l] ps

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: RHONDA MCDONNELL <rhonda_mcdonnell AT msn.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] ps
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 12:36:39 -0700

Wow--all the good stuff happens when I'm on vacation! I'm tardy in adding to this discussion, but I'll throw my opinions in anyway, with indulgence from all of you.

Unlike Nikki, I can't speak to whether WP would've liked THE ROAD. I can say that I found it to be profoundly intersubjective, and I have to side with David Beck: a great deal happened in the story.  McCarthy's language has a breathtaking simplicity to it which can be deceptive. I remember thinking, the first time I read him, "This is what Hemingway was trying to do."  Now, I've doubtless offending a Hemingway devotee, but I stand by it.  My only objection to THE ROAD is that the ending seemed a bit contrived, but I was relieved, even so.  Although a friend insists that I missed it, and that it ends with death. I haven't made it back to reread yet, so that friend may be right. In which case, it wasn't contrived after all.

Regarding the autobiographical aspects of TLG, read Bertram Wyatt-Brown's HOUSE OF PERCY. If I remember right, that's the book that argues that case most strongly.

Here's another thought . . . What would WP have thought of Don DeLillo's FALLING MAN?

--Rhonda

"You live in a deranged age, more deranged than usual, because in spite of great scientific and technological advances, man has not the faintest idea of who he is or what he is doing."

                                    Walker Percy

> From: robert.g.eckert AT us.army.mil
> To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
> Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 16:51:22 -0500
> Subject: Re: [percy-l] ps
>
> Perhaps people go on American Idol because, in their own way, they share Binx Bolling's dream of doing something great.
>
> We all want to bigger than we are, to be more who we are than we are now.
>
> American Idol allows any and every aspiring singer the opportunity to become great. Indeed, the show has resulted in beginning the careers of great artists.
>

> CPL Eckert
> Ft. Riley, KS

Get more from your digital life. Find out how.

  • Re: [percy-l] ps, Eckert, Robert G SPC MIL USA FORSCOM, 08/01/2008
    • Re: [percy-l] ps, RHONDA MCDONNELL, 08/06/2008