percy-l - Re: [percy-l] non-percy

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: RHONDA MCDONNELL <rhonda_mcdonnell AT msn.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] non-percy
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 14:02:15 -0600

I, too, couldn't help but think of Percy when reading The Road. Somewhere, perhaps in the essay Rich mentions, he pictures the end of things, and speaks of the solitude of two people together, and the profound and triadic bond that will then exist between them. I found the language used between the man and boy to have that quality, as though even the most mundane words had been stripped free of their calcification and been turned into something new.

The ending of the novel also seemed Percyan to me--the redemption and hope were so much like the endings of Moviegoer, LITR, and Second Coming. At once cryptic and certain, McCarthy confirms the presence of God and goodness in the face of a world gone mad.

--Rhonda

"You live in a deranged age, more deranged that usual, because in spite of great scientific and technological advances, man has not the faintest idea of who he is or what he is doing."

                                    Walker Percy

> Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 08:12:41 -0400
> From: RGray AT montreat.edu
> To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
> Subject: RE: [percy-l] non-percy

Live Earth is coming.  Learn more about the hottest summer event - only on MSN. Check it out!