percy-l - Re: [percy-l] WP and Vatican II

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Jonathan Potter" <jdp AT scn.org>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] WP and Vatican II
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 10:19:56 -0800

I don't have it in front of me right now, but there's an interview in one of the Conversations books where Percy talks explicitly about Vatican II and the changes that occurred as a result of it.  He's generally positive about it, but also recognizes that it opened the door to destructive forces within the Church.  He speaks admiringly of Ratzinger at one point.

Jonathan Potter
Spokane WA

On 1/14/07, JHForest AT cs.com <JHForest AT cs.com> wrote:
Michael Larson wrote:

>> To sum up, I would not argue that Percy speaks only through Lance (as I
agreed in an earlier post, he speaks through Lance's confessor as well), nor
would I argue that Percy did not do his best to try to reconcile the church he
had converted to with the one he ended up with. It must have been, I am sure,
quite a feat of grappling in his considerable mind. What I will stand by, until
the evidence points otherwise, is that he speaks at least in part through Lance
and that he was anything but enamored with the spirit of novelty in the
post-conciliar church. On the contrary, there is some reason to believe that it
may nearly have cost him the Faith. <<

I have to re-read Lancelot before I can make a contribution to this discussion,
but (along with others) would like to know more about WP's take on Vatican II.
I can imagine he would have given it very mixed reviews. He may well have
regarded the Council's final text (the Pastoral Constitution on the Church in
the Modern World, Gaudium et Spes) as a very important achievement and
may also have been glad to see the Liturgy rendered in English, but been
appalled with what actually happened to the new Liturgy when it reached the
average parish (goodbye Gregorian chant, welcome guitars and pop music).

Friendly greetings,

Jim Forest

* * *
Jim and Nancy Forest
Kanisstraat 5 / 1811 GJ Alkmaar / The Netherlands
Our new phone number: 072-515-4180 (outside Holland: 00-31-72-515-4180)
Mobile: 06-510-11-250 (outside Holland: 00-31-6-510-11-250)
Jim's e-mail: jhforest AT cs.com (alternative address: jhforest AT gmail.com)
Nancy's e-mail: forestflier AT cs.com (alternative address: forestflier AT gmail.com)
Jim and Nancy Forest web site: www.incommunion.org/forest-flier/
Forest-Flier Editorial Services: www.incommunion.org/forest-flier/ffes/
Photo web site: www.flickr.com/photos/jimforest/sets/
Orthodox Peace Fellowship web site: www.incommunion.org