percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Percy-L Digest, Vol 44, Issue 1

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "RHONDA MCDONNELL" <rhonda_mcdonnell AT msn.com>
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Percy-L Digest, Vol 44, Issue 1
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 10:34:08 -0700

Rich wrote:
How can one be against the world without wishing to be a terrorist--maybe just for one day?

I wonder if that feeling (which I understand and sometimes share) is part and parcel of our current state. If Percy is right and the 20th century was the century of death and its inhabitants were, in his words, death-dealing and death-loving, what does this 21st century bring?

This conversation has me thinking of LANCELOT within the chronology of Percy's work. If we agree with Michael, that LANCELOT speaks, in part, for Walker (I'm willing to entertain the notion), then can we see the Percy protagonists in a continuum of sorts? If so, Lance is a purgative character. In the novel that follows, THE SECOND COMING, Will is able to pitch the death urge over a cliff and to build a community rather than destroy one (at least, that's his plan).

p.s. Michael, is this more readable??

--Rhonda

"I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing
than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance"

e.e. cummings

Communicate instantly! Use your Hotmail address to sign into Windows Live Messenger now. http://get.live.com/messenger/overview