percy-l - [percy-l] remembering the Rotary in LITR

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Tpmonaghan AT aol.com
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [percy-l] remembering the Rotary in LITR
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:05:08 EDT

Rotarians bare all for good cause
Concord Transcript ^ | 9/29/5 | Kellie Applen

Wearing nothing but his 12-string guitar, 65-year-old Paul King smiled wide for the camera, knowing full well his photograph would be seen by clients, friends -- even complete strangers.

"It's no big thing," said King, one of a dozen members of Rotary Club of Concord who wear their birthday suits for an upcoming calendar.

"We're having a ball ... an absolute ball, doing this. There are going to be some people who might be slightly offended, but the majority of people think it's a great idea," he said.

It's an idea King and fellow Rotarian Memory Woodard, a Clayton resident, latched onto after reading an article in People magazine about a Rotary Club in New York whose members took it all off for a fund-raising calendar.

The payoff was big and brought the group some celebrity, King said.

"I said, 'Hey guys, this is where we need to go with this,'" said Woodard, one of two female Rotarians to pose in the calendar. "We are trying to put ourselves on the map and I think this will do it."

Many of their fellow Rotarians loved the idea, so much so that there were more members who volunteered to go to the almost-"Full Monty," than there were months in the calendar.

"We've got a bunch of hunks in our Rotary," said King, noting that those who could not make it into the 2006 calendar have been promised spots in the next one.

King, who works in sales and plays guitar in his band the Folk and Oldies, is featured in the month of September.

Woodard, an employee benefits broker is featured in April, covered only with strategically placed flowers and a shovel bearing the Rotary Club emblem.

While she did not initially plan to model, Woodard said she changed her mind to show people that the organization is not just a men's club. She used the same rationale to persuade fellow Rotarians to include women in the calendar.

Woodard said she has no regrets about posing and her husband is all for it, too.

"(He) is so excited about it. He is telling everybody ... he loves the shock value," Woodard said, adding that she has yet to tell her two grown sons.

Other Rotarians making the calendar include club president Michael Barrington; Rick Ernst, Bruce Hall, Bill Bobetsky, Lisa Gallup, Richard Kops, Alex Ozuna, Rick Vossekuil, Chris Moulis, Tony Akins, and Jeff Warrenburg, according to King.

The club expects to sell the calendar for $20, beginning in November. All of the proceeds will go to charity, though the group hasn't decided which ones yet, King said.

  • [percy-l] remembering the Rotary in LITR, Tpmonaghan, 09/29/2005