percy-l - [percy-l] hurricane in Lancelot

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Teresa <ttbrader AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Percy-L AT lists.ibiblio.org:Literary and Philosophical Discussion <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [percy-l] hurricane in Lancelot
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 23:54:04 -0500

I don't know how many hurricane scares your new student has been through in her lifetime, and I can only speak to this question from a personal viewpoint.

That quote from Lancelot about enjoying hurricanes ... I understand it because of past experiences -- from when I was a child up until the one before Katrina, I guess.  (I am 43 years old.)  If your student has experienced past hurricane threats (before Katrina), she may understand the feeling Percy talks of.  Katrina was different, though, and that may be all she can think of right now.

When we first heard that Friday night/Saturday morning that a hurricane was headed our way, I admit that I felt a pleasurable anticipation of being snug inside with my husband while the bad weather rattled around outside.  But as the news changed and New Orleans was put under mandatory evacuation (first time ever) that Sunday morning, the anticipation was pleasurable no longer.  I felt dread.  The dread deepened as the night lengthened.  I have never felt that way with any other hurricane.

I'd imagine that for your student, as with most everyone else around here -- whether they have not been back home or whether they have been able to come back, as I have -- her emotions are raw and right there, ready to spill out.  I have not had one 'good' cry, but then my eyes well up instantly and I hurt at just about everything I see and hear nowadays.  It may be the same for her.

Not really a suggestion, I know ...

Teresa

dabeck AT iupui.edu wrote:
Still, I wonder how she will see the whole hurricane effect and the hurricane in
Lancelot.
 Any suggestions?