percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Group Read Suggestions??

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Greg Taylor" <gregt AT dwilliams.net>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Group Read Suggestions??
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:33:53 -0500

I think that LITR is perhaps more timely than most of Percy's fiction. No
other writer deals so incisively with what has become familiar to us all
since 1971 - the "Red"- knot-head and "Blue"- leftpapa. That the center is
not holding has been much more evident the past several years than it was in
1971 (or 1981, or 1991 for that matter).

Dye, Steve wrote:

>Having been a member of this list for several years now, this is the best
suggestion I have heard. It certainly beats recent subject matter. I am one
of the "lay" members but have read everything Percy has written (am
currently re-reading "The Moviegoer", which I first read in 1973). I just
happened to come upon "Love in the Ruins" at a bookstore in New Orleans in
1988 and read it by the pool at what was then the Clarion Hotel on Canal
Street. It would not be an exaggeration to say that reading Percy has
changed my life. The first thing I thought of as I watched the events in New
Orleans transpire that first few days was that it was right out of "Love in
the Ruins". The odd thing is that recently I had felt that "love in the
Ruins" had become somewhat "passé"!

--
An archive of all list discussion is available at
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/percy-l/