percy-l - [percy-l] Message to the Percy-L Community

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Henry P. Mills" <wpercy2 AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: percy-l <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [percy-l] Message to the Percy-L Community
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:34:08 -0500

Title: Message to the Percy-L Community
Dear Percy-L,

I submit the below notice a second time for those who may have missed it during its first posting yesterday.  Thank you to the members of the community who have written to me expressing concern about the recent digressions of the list away from any association with Percy-related topics as well as the frequently demeaning ways in which they were presented.  From my impressions of reading the work of Percy and what I know of the man, civility and respect were values that ultimately extended both from his person and literary corpus.  Such are the values of this community no matter how suitable or timely a given topic may be.

Henry Mills

Moratorium

As Percy-L manager, I submit this email to the community announcing a moratorium on all further hurricane commentary or political commentary that is not discussed relative to the work or thought of Walker Percy.  This statement is not to exclude the introduction of outside subjects and perspectives as they may seem relevant to Percy discussion.  Rather, it is simply to underscore that Percy’s thought or its relationship to a topic should be the base of all list commentary, including discussion of current events. If any member of the community does not agree with this intent or focus, they are cordially invited to unsubscribe.

Henry Mills
Percy-L Manager