percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Percy and Palahniuk (forwarded for Gregory Plemmons)

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: David Alan Beck <dabeck AT iupui.edu>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Percy and Palahniuk (forwarded for Gregory Plemmons)
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 16:50:08 -0500 (EST)

I teach Fight Club along with Lancelot. Students really like both. They
explore similar themes but in different ways (that sounds cryptic, but I
only have a minute). Both have protagonists dislike contemporary America
and have visions of what it should be. FC gives us a more nihilistic
approach and L. gives some reason (however slight it might be) for hope
(certainly hope for the priest). (Also, _Choke_ isn't his latest. He has
had a few since FC (Diary, Lullaby, and Haunted comes out in May). I
thought Choke read like FC, with sex replacing violence.
I do think that you are correct in seeing a connection. I'm not sure if
CP ever read Percy but he has read some of the existentialists. You can
find a website (a writer's cult or something like that) that has
everything Chuck. He's endorsed the site as "official." It has more than
anything someone would want to know about him.
Any thoughts?
-David