percy-l - RE: [percy-l] Artie Shaw's "The Artist in the Materialist Age"

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Tommy Armstrong" <tfa AT brickengraver.com>
  • To: "'Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion'" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [percy-l] Artie Shaw's "The Artist in the Materialist Age"
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 19:05:23 -0500

I subscribed to this list a couple of months ago and really thought it was dead--but I guess there are others out there. If not a recording, a transcript would be outstanding.

The longer I live, the more I come to realize that Percy pretty much has the answers to most questions that are answerable. I think his theory of language is right on the mark--and that when God created man--he did not necessarily not let evolution get to a certain point but He did step in and bestow on that lucky (or cursed) creature that gift. In the beginning was the Word. That was the act of creation-allowing a creature to comprehend what a word is. That was the "tree of good and evil", for before language there was no "good" or no "evil"---there was no selfawareness for there was no word for "me". The story of  Helen Keller has been all over cable lately--both the old movie and the new--and when she finally comprehended the word "water" she became a human being. Her story was to Percy what that water coming out of the pump was to Helen. She finally understood. And to my knowledge, there is no other creature on earth that can do that.

I'm really probably going off on the deep end as I really do not know any of the members of this list and my comments might not be appropriate. Let me know if they are not.

"If you're a big enough fool to climb a tree and like a cat refuse to come down, then someone who loves you has to make as big a fool of himself to rescue you."
W Percy