percy-l - RE: [percy-l] citation request (plus a book recommendation)

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Karl M. Terrell" <kterrell AT sheastokes.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [percy-l] citation request (plus a book recommendation)
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:31:19 -0500

* * This communication is CONFIDENTIAL * *

I have enjoyed following the discussions here. My interest in Percy,
I'll confess however, is more casual than most of you. I simply think
of him as a great writer of fiction, but I enjoy immensely his essays as
well. Whether in fiction or nonfiction, I enjoy reading his thoughts
about life on the planet.

One thing has always interested me, that I'm sure many of you have
insight into, and that is the question of why Percy converted to
Catholism. In asking this, note that I am not myself Catholic, but a
lapsed Presbyterian (though I like to think I possess strong spiritual
values). I'm curious as to what attracted him to the faith and
practices of this church, and how that played out in his writing and
thought. For example, to express it crudely, his observation that bad
news makes us feel good, and vice versa .... How does that intersect
with his faith?

I know this is a huge topic, but I'd be interested to hear anyone's
thoughts.

Karl