percy-l - RE: [percy-l] An interesting story

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Karl M. Terrell" <kterrell AT sheastokes.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [percy-l] An interesting story
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 11:52:01 -0400

* * This communication is CONFIDENTIAL * *

I saw the story, but haven't read it yet. I read his novels The
Sportswriter and Independence Day. He's one of my favorites. Maybe
some of the more serious literary types out there can explain why a fan
of Percy is attracted to Ford's writing.

My own blunt, vague little theory: It has something to do with the fact
that he's a Southerner who finds himself misplaced -- in his case, in
New Jersey selling real estate -- and yet he rolls along quite
good-naturedly in this state of affairs. He accepts the dislocation,
but not without insight and understanding.

Karl M. Terrell