percy-l - [percy-l] Vatican II--changes in form or substance?

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Bryon McLaughlin" <BMclaughlin AT nazarene.org>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [percy-l] Vatican II--changes in form or substance?
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:55:34 -0600

Percy Listserv:

It is my understanding is that Vatican II resulted in a number of theological changes, not just changes in practices.  According to a central tent of Catholic thought, however, “theological change” must always be understood as a development within the Church’s doctrine, not as a new departure from it.  The operative principle for theological change can be understood as change that is “creative but faithful.”

There is no doubt—the great overwhelming majority of Roman Catholics in the U.S. and in the world are not anti-Vatican II but quite supportive.  On the other hand, among conservative priests, there is a belief that it went too far.  When you push them to what “too far” means, though, it often gets back to the notion that too much influence was given to the laity.

I'm not sure if Percy would share this belief of laity influence or not.

Bryon McLaughlin