percy-l - Re: [percy-l] FWD: walker percy and dissociative fugue/amnesia

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: marcus AT loyno.edu
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] FWD: walker percy and dissociative fugue/amnesia
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 01:41:03 GMT

Welcome, Chuck,

Your profile makes you an almost perfect Percy character.

I seem to recall that Binx refers to movies which focus on a
(male) character who suffers from amnesia. Don't have a
copy here so cannot check on my flawed memory.

Percy himself was, I guess you could say, subject to fits
and fugues, but that's a topic for another day.

Tonight I'm wondering about that day forty years ago, that
mad dream that they've been re-playing endlessly on the TV
for the past week. I was dumping a slop bucket onto a
compost pile in Madison, Wisconsin, when our landlord came
out of his door and said that the President had been shot in
Dallas. A few months later (partly to keep faith with some
of JFK's inaugural words), I went to the Middle East. Six
years later I returned to the US aware that that part of the
world (which, despite our tendency towards poltical fugues
and national amnesia, gave us our ideas of history and
invented most of our gods) would have much more to do than
Vietnam with our ultimate destiny as a nation. Yeats nailed
it in "Second Coming." Or did he? In the summer of 2002,
the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem was filled with
gunmen and surrounded by tanks. Nothing happened. The skies
didn't crack open. Isn't it Hegel who compared history to a
butcher's table dripping with fresh blood?

Apologies to Chuck and the others for this muttering.
Thoughts of an old man's brain in a terrible season.

Marcus Smith