percy-l - RE: [percy-l] gays, biblical authority and Percy's language theor y --

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Parlin, Steven" <PARLINS AT culver.org>
  • To: "'Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion'" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [percy-l] gays, biblical authority and Percy's language theor y --
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 15:09:52 -0500

Karey, I am imensely interested in Percy's language theory, and I hope to resume that discussion either concurrently or a little later. But, I am also matters of eathly concern. On the one hand, inquirey into theory is exciting, fun, and even necessary. Let's roll up our sleaves. But, let us not become like that scientist Percy mentions in Lost in the Cosmos who spends all of his time in the abstacted orbit of theory never being able to successfuly achieve re-entry. Homsexuality, among the many deviant sexual behaviors, is one of the most odd behaviors in the Cosmos. I think it's worthy, even necessary, to wrestle with this...especially since it's impossible to ignore it.

in fact, this is my point...It's really only possible to entertain the idea of homosexual marriage when we are in orbit and lost. We have lost our moorings. The center is not holding. We really don't understand ourselves -- We are indeed the strangest of cosmic phenomena.

[For fun-- I adapted the below dialogue from a few excerpts  in Lost in the Cosmos]

Interviewer: Are you more confused about sexuality than any other phenomenon in the Cosmos?