percy-l - [percy-l] Fw: How Music REALLY Works - comparing language and music

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Karey L. Perkins" <karey AT charter.net>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [percy-l] Fw: How Music REALLY Works - comparing language and music
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 19:45:44 -0400

Thought you all might be interested in this -- I'm reading Susanne Langer now, who as you know influenced Percy's language theory greatly, and she talks about music (as well as art and ritual) as symbolic language.  The brief discussion at the e-link below links music and language together, and refers to the FOXP2 gene as well...the "sidebar" box recommends further reading.

Karey

-----------------------------------

Hi Karey,

Here is the link to the paper on understanding music
that compares our human brain's biological processing
of language with music.

"How Music REALLY Works" Sections
1.1 The Biological "Sense" of Language and "Sense" of
Music; and
1.2 Words + Music . . . 1 + 1 = 3.

http://www.completechords.com/Pages_Sidebranch_Free_Features/How_Music_Really_Works/How_Music_REALLY_Works_1a.htm#1.1

If the link gets mangled in email, just go to
http://www.completechords.com and click the link
_How_Music_Really_Works_ in the left column.

Enjoy, Jeff