percy-l - [percy-l] "...problem is not moral relativism, shopping malls..."

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion of Walker Percy

  • From: Tpmonaghan AT aol.com
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [percy-l] "...problem is not moral relativism, shopping malls..."
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 18:24:27 EST

If the problem is really Mr. Piatt, I suggest he stop.  I mean after all, is that too much to ask.  Also all those in the "us" he blames and assumes guilt for, should likewise stop their misbehaving.  From my perspective, I fail to see how "blaming the other" absolves me or protects me or elevates me.

The problem we face now is one of how to defend ourselves from dictators who cultivate smallpox as a weapon and individuals who would deliver it, and that is a question.  However, pondering one's vague politically correct "sins" is not the answer.  Such action will elevate one in certain circles as they posture humility, but it is a rank sentimentalism that will result in a higher body count for everyone.

Without God, the moral absolute, there are no values and all is permitted, as has been observed by others. If moral relativism is the answer, there is no problem.  In fact, there isn't even a question.

Let's show a little genuine charity to the shoppers. I realize shoppers are not postmodern, deconstructionists and not driven to a murderous rage by the Andalusian catastrophe and therefore not proper subjects for our compassion, but such charity should be easy enough out of laziness, if not virtue.  Dr. Johnson observed that men were seldom more innocently employed than when simply making money and shoppers are part of that equation.  Similarly, had Shelley had to get and spend, he might not have wreaked such havoc and misery on all around him.